Chapter Approved Points Leaks

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Chapter Approved Points Leaks

Postby MrScotty » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:59 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/d8Ae4TN

These are in hilariously scrambled-up order, but they show all the points changes in the new chapter approved.

Some changes are wild, some are underwhelming, but pretty universally this appears to be "Buff the bad" rather than "Nerf the good" - knights, guardsmen, and custode bikers are unchanged, but you have things like dreadnoughts dropping over 50% of their point costs, and pretty much across the board decreases on marine/elite wargear.

It seems like the biggest focus was on the units sitting in the 120-200 "elite but not knight sized" range, with SIGNIFICANT points drops on things like dreadnoughts, common transport vehicles, and fancy units like vanguard veterans who benefit heavily from stuff like 2pt storm shields/combi-weapons that cost the same as their non combi counterpart.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Blood Angels

Re: Chapter Approved Points Leaks

Postby Indy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm

I don't know if it's enough to right the ship (from a BA perspective, a 10 point reduction on the Baal Predator still does not make that unit anywhere near viable...I can't fathom what they are using as a comparison point), but it's a start.

My favorite thing so far is that SM Servitors are more than double their cost (were 2 now 5)...cause they really needed to be nerfed lol.
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:02 pm
I don't know if it's enough to right the ship (from a BA perspective, a 10 point reduction on the Baal Predator still does not make that unit anywhere near viable...I can't fathom what they are using as a comparison point), but it's a start.

My favorite thing so far is that SM Servitors are more than double their cost (were 2 now 5)...cause they really needed to be nerfed lol.
I think that's because they removed the point cost from Servo-arms and that was intended as a techpriest/techmarine buff and not as a "lets make servitors 2ppm with a powerfist attack lolololol"

I think the biggest winners out of Space Marines are dreadnoughts(not much to say other than 45% points drop on most builds), Vanguard Veterans (points drop coupled with TWO POINT storm shields...a storm shield vanvet is the same cost as a naked one from before), and Sternguard (1ppm to give your space marines AP-2, A2, and LD8/9...and again storm shields/combi-weapons on every guy).

Also notable is that the points drops to the cheapest FA/HS unit choices (35pt attack bikes, 60pt landspeeders, 70pt stalkers and 85pt whirlwinds) enable Space Marines to stand on their own feet quite a bit better by taking Brigades without breaking the bank.

Predators, vindys and Tacticals/Asssault squads are definitely the big losers here. Just, why would you take one of the latter two when you can take a sternguard/vanvet squad instead and just fill your troops with scouts and intercessors...yeah. Special weapons/combi weapons dropping in price does marginally help tacticals, but Rhinos are still pricy and I would rather have 5 sternguard with 1SS+4 combis rolling in a Razorback than 10 tacticals with 2 specials+2 combis in a Rhino.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Postby Kman2190 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm

I've saved approx. 45 points, at least it's something. I wasn't expecting a marine buff so I'll take whatever I can get.
FOR THE EMPEROR
Eisenfresser
Name: Steven Hirsch
Play Style: Casual
Armies: IG Tanks

Postby Eisenfresser » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I think the new cost of the Hydra just means I take it as a gun truck. Which I was already contemplating before I saw this.
Game preferences:
+1 to going first roll if you finish deploying first
All terrain is "statuary"
No First Blood - it's basically a bonus VP for going first
Current Beta rules

Army
4,500 points of Imperial Guard
2,800 of tanks alone
AngelusSperi
Name: Jon
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Marines (Blood Angels/Salamanders)

Postby AngelusSperi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Bah Scott you got me all excited for naught! Dreads saw a point decrease, which is awesome and no complaints, but it's on the order of 15-20% (including cheaper weapons), not 40%.

Also nice to see flame and melta went down. Not as much as I think they need, but clearly GW is taking the scalpel approach. Okay, that's reasonable.

Overall, everything I take got cheaper. Yay! Lol. Except mephiston. Apparently he needed an extra 15pts lol.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:25 pm

AngelusSperi wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:20 pm
Bah Scott you got me all excited for naught! Dreads saw a point decrease, which is awesome and no complaints, but it's on the order of 15-20% (including cheaper weapons), not 40%.

Also nice to see flame and melta went down. Not as much as I think they need, but clearly GW is taking the scalpel approach. Okay, that's reasonable.

Overall, everything I take got cheaper. Yay! Lol. Except mephiston. Apparently he needed an extra 15pts lol.
Ah, son of a gun - I was comparing the dreadnought in my currrent deathwatch list, which is a venerable. Sorry, I thought there was an extra 20 point drop in there.
Game Preferences:
The Last Acton Hero
Name: Thomas E
Armies: Salamander Space Marines

Postby The Last Acton Hero » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 pm

5 tactical marines with plasma gun, combiplasma/chainsword on the Sergeant, 87 points, 7 melee attacks.
5 company veterans with 2 combiplasmas and chainsword for everyone, 92 points, 16 melee attacks.
Okkkkkkk.
MrScotty
Officer

Postby MrScotty » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 pm

The Last Acton Hero wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 pm
5 tactical marines with plasma gun, combiplasma/chainsword on the Sergeant, 87 points, 7 melee attacks.
5 company veterans with 2 combiplasmas and chainsword for everyone, 92 points, 16 melee attacks.
Okkkkkkk.
tactical marines at least get to be troops, getting Cps and obsec.

Look at Assault Marines versus Vanvets if you really want to have fun.
Game Preferences:
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, Space Marines, Daemons

Postby Draaen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Pretty cool changes all around. Here it is in order.

https://imgur.com/a/hJdGA6T#w300zzD

I saved a ton of points on my daemon list I was starting up enough to add in a lord of change or a bunch of spawn which is pretty awesome.

They left the riptide the same which I thought was going up. But boy were they aggressive with points drops on a few select units. Missile pod crisis suits went from 300-200 points. Ghostkeel shaved off about 40 points from its load outs and the broadsides were also reduced and mainly the best part is that those suits can go back to their more traditional role of mass produced higher casualty rate units.

The biggest surprise to me was that I thought the base space marine might have gone down a point. Surprised that did not happen.

I find it comical that a unit which is named the 8 has 22 models in it.
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.