Army Storage Solutions

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Darth Hoodie
Name: Tom X
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Black Templars + Inquisition

Army Storage Solutions

Postby Darth Hoodie » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 am

Gather round gents its time to start asking some hard questions. The past few years I have had the luxury of being able to fit an average 2,000 point army with a few pieces foam in a nice conveniently sized lunchbox to get it to and from games. But as my collection becomes more and more "complete" I feel the need to invest into a more long term storage and transport option than my humble lunchbox.

After a bit of "quick math in Battle Scribe " and some super precise guestimation, I have roughly 10,000 points of Templars and a spattering of small assorted allied forces. I am thinking about picking up the Pack 1520 from battle foam. I know I could order through the store and get a decent little discount on it to offset the significant price tag. My big question is does anyone have any advice on how to kit the damn thing out with all the foam insert options?

I feel like it should fit everything I have quite easily but I want to make sure I have the right sized foam for it so I dont spent more time and money than I need to fighting with plucking out little foamies.

-Thanks Dudes
"Suffer not the unclean to live."
MrScotty
Officer
Name: Scott Mechler
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: All of Them

Re: Army Storage Solutions

Postby MrScotty » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 am

Darth Hoodie wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 am
Gather round gents its time to start asking some hard questions. The past few years I have had the luxury of being able to fit an average 2,000 point army with a few pieces foam in a nice conveniently sized lunchbox to get it to and from games. But as my collection becomes more and more "complete" I feel the need to invest into a more long term storage and transport option than my humble lunchbox.

After a bit of "quick math in Battle Scribe " and some super precise guestimation, I have roughly 10,000 points of Templars and a spattering of small assorted allied forces. I am thinking about picking up the Pack 1520 from battle foam. I know I could order through the store and get a decent little discount on it to offset the significant price tag. My big question is does anyone have any advice on how to kit the damn thing out with all the foam insert options?

I feel like it should fit everything I have quite easily but I want to make sure I have the right sized foam for it so I dont spent more time and money than I need to fighting with plucking out little foamies.

-Thanks Dudes

Well, I can personally recommend the 1520 - I purchased that bag about 16 years ago now and it still more or less looks the same as the day I bought it. There's a slight bend to the top plastic reinforcement plate (especially when I cram 3k points or a metal army in there) and the zipper is a tiny bit worn, but nowhere close to breaking which is impressive IMO.

There are companies that manufacture pre-made foam inserts for a particular faction, and there's also the pluck foam. Personal recommendation would be that the pluck foam doesn't hold together nearly as well, just don't go too nuts with the custom-made stuff (its better to just get some big rectangular cutouts that will fit most vehicles than to get a specifically Stormraven-Shaped piece of foam. The foam's got a good bit of give, so most of the time you're OK if a miniature doesn't quite fit perfectly in the square cut out. I've got the "orks" set that I think Battlefoam makes, and it works for orks, marines, and most things that aren't crazily posed.

For your first bag, I'd recommend the following setup:

-2 sets intended for "general marines" laid sideways
-2 sets intended for Vehicles, one divided into roughly 6 cutouts built for Rhino/Predator/Whirlwind etc sized vehicles, one divided into only 2 sections for big oddball units like flyers.
-1 set for your biggest, most awkwardly posed Elite models. I sized mine around fitting a dreadnought-sized base in it.
Game Preferences:
A model may assault upper levels of terrain if they charge far enough to climb them
All current beta rules in effect unless opponent prefers otherwise
I love setting up custom, fluffy scenarios, PM me!
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Re: Army Storage Solutions

Postby Connman234 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:31 am

I definitely agree that battlefoam is the way to go in terms of protecting the investment. What I did with my layouts, was I took inventory of all my models for my army, figure out what models you would be taking on a regular basis, then start configuring the layout. I have used battlefoam's custom tray creator to many many lengths. It definitely helps when are setting up the layouts. One of the biggest things to remember and think about is HEIGHT OF THE FOAMS! When I first did my Ad-Mech foams, I didn't factor in that they add 1/4" for the bottom of the foam, and it affected how those foams fit in the bag. If you figure out what you want height you need. measure, measure, measure the height of the models and use that.

If I haven't deleted them, I can give you links to battlefoam for the pre-mades that I did for my Iron Hands.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"