Wrath and Glory!

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
The Titanz0r
Name: Swerd
Experience Level: Intermediate
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Imperial Guard, Black Templars

Wrath and Glory!

Postby The Titanz0r » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:06 am

Ave Imperator, citizens. Swerd here. Let me get the jump on this early on. A new 40k RPG, Wrath and Glory, was announced, and is due to be released some time in September. Being a long-time player and DM of pen and paper RPGs, and a huge fan of the now defunct Dark Heresy, I've already gone all-in with the pre-order. I've been asking at the store off and on, and I've seen some genuine interest from folks in playing a campaign. So, if anybody is interested in joining a group, I'd be more than happy to start one. Once the books are released, and I receive my copy, I can get the game itself up and running.

In the mean time, and unrelated to 40k, I've been interested in the Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign for Pathfinder. If anybody is interested in playing in that, let me know. I can see about running a group for that campaign, if I get enough people, while we all wait for Wrath and Glory.

Drop me a line and let me know.
The Emperor Protects.
CarbonMagos
Name: Eric S
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperial Guard

Re: Wrath and Glory!

Postby CarbonMagos » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:55 pm

I'm definitely excited to see how post-codex Mechanicus looks in an RPG, and the dice pool looks a lot cleaner than the d% from Heresy, so count me interested.
The Titanz0r

Postby The Titanz0r » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 am

Well, I'm glad at least one person is interested. I guess I have to work on getting some more folks involved elsewhere.
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Postby effullbao » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:56 am

Summer is a slow season over here for games. I think it also mor has to deal with the fact the book and game itself isn’t out so I would try again closer after more information is released. I know there’s a DND group biweekly on Thursday nights and there may be a bit over interest overlap over there.

My first impressions is that it’ll seem to be very heavy on the Imperium fluff. As someone who did not really get into 40k for the fluff, I can probably assume I can pass on this. It’s tough to role play as Zagtoof da Kloudyeye when everyone’s being a super stoic Martian robot or purging in the name of the two armed emperor (at least without putting off someone who really does want to do a novelesque narrative).

I do see this as a potential gateway for narrative oriented folks. You hear a lot about people rewarding individual models in game with aesthetic doodads for doing cool things and the entire game system seems to be a lead up to these kind of scenarios.

The way to incorporate non Imperium things would be maybe like villain of the week stuff or an entire campaign where the roles are reversed and you go up against guard and slowly make your way up to fighting a chapter. Either way would take a very savvy gamemaster.
Wazzgit
Name: Eric Carlson
Armies: Orks

Postby Wazzgit » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I may be down, depending on how life the universe and everything works out. I get to play an Ork right? That's the most important thing
Space Cleric
Name: Albert
Armies: Skaven

Postby Space Cleric » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Count me in!

Do you know this far ahead of time what sort of tone you'd like to do? I know that 40k can be very "grimdark," bordering on nihilistic, but there's a lot of leeway room:
Knowing that the rest of the Imperium struggles for its meager galactic survival, one band of survivors straddles the line of heresy to fulfill the Emperor's first vision of a mankind with the bold resolve to choose their own destiny.
Something like this could be related to the quest for attaining the end to the atmosphere of horrendous bureaucracy, and into a new Golden Era of Humanity. It would create a lot of interesting dynamics, fighting Xenos Scum while also trying to dodge the occasional Inquisitor or Space Marine kill team trying to purge you.
First, we dakka dakka. Then we dakka dakka. If that doesn't work, we can always dakka dakka.
The Titanz0r

Postby The Titanz0r » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:44 pm

@SpaceMagos - This new system definitely seems easier to pick up and play than Dark Heresy, as fun as that system was. It's also confirmed that Wrath and Glory takes place after the Indomitus Crusade, so it will be interesting to see how things play out.

@effullbao - As I said, I am just gauging the initial interest for a future game. Obviously, things will be more certain once the books and rules are released. As far as lore knowledge being a necessity, that should never hinder gameplay experience anyway. Though, everything shown so far seems to reward a player's knowledge of lore, but does not hinder them in any way. I really don't understand your example about Zagtoof, robots, and a so-called emperor. In regard to 'villains of the week' or any other gameplay or story elements, that'll be up to what happens once the game starts, and where the players involved want to go. Party based pen and paper RPGs are always a collaborative team effort. There's no need to get pedantic, especially if you say you're not interested anyway.

@Wazzgit - It's a shame that life, the universe, and everything gets in the way of things. But if orks are in the system, then I wouldn't say no. Your loyal Imperial cohorts might object, however...

@Space Cleric - I don't like to say ahead of time what the tone will be for a game. I generally leave it open for the first few sessions, and see where the players take it. Then I go off that. Though, there is a time and place for everything. Your noble, optimistic Imperial soldier teaming up with a jaded, nihilistic preacher, and a wise-cracking arbitrator would make for an interesting dichotomy, for example. But, as the DM, I reserve the right the reel in the attitude, if it goes too far to any extreme.
effullbao
Name: Ben L
Armies: Ork/Nurgle Daemons

Postby effullbao » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 pm

I don’t mean to come across as pedantic in anyway. I was just tossing out a couple examples and suggestions to get some conversion started. All in all, I’d be happy to see more 40k outside of the very standardized 2000 to 2500 point game. The main point I was trying to get across is that we are a pretty small but dedicated group of gamers so don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear any feedback right away.
Draaen
Name: Mark
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Tau, Space Marines

Postby Draaen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 am

I would be interessted but getting out to the store during the week is difficult for me with work. Are you planning on running the game in the store or digitally like on roll20?
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
Fair warning my doofy daemons have 3rd party models, scratch builds, old warhammer models and I haven't moved all their bases over to the 40k ones yet! Happy to switch to either Tau or White Scars.
Kman2190
Name: Kenji
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Space wolves, CSM and Daemons

Postby Kman2190 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:41 pm

My interest has been piqued, I always wanted to play a Storm Warden scout with a Scottish accent. I'll be caber tossing fools left and right.
FOR THE EMPEROR