I have a cool idea for the club!

An area for players to gather and communicate about the club or Warhammer in general. If you aren't sure where a topic should go, start here.
Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Experience Level: Advanced
Play Style: Casual
Armies: Sons of Horus

I have a cool idea for the club!

Postby Darth Hoodie » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:32 am

Hey guys!

So I have been thinking, the meta and environment we have fostered over the years at GDG and the Bunker has in my opinion been a huge asset to the local wargaming community. We have a great group of regulars that seems to be routinely pulling in new faces. It seems like most everyone runs some variation of a "potent" Take all Comers list at 2,000 points. I don't see anyone running WAAC netlists but to that same point everyone seems to be playing to win the game. Given the friendly environment and the "casual/competitive" meta that we have fostered over the years I have come up with a cool idea!

I propose we start keeping track of the goings on at the club, each game gets a short write up. Both armies, the mission played, notable moments and we start keeping score so to speak. I feel like over time if implemented properly we could go so far as to have a running log of the games we play on the tabletop. Think of it as any seasons worth of pro sports.

"Marks White Scars destroyed Tom's Black Legion. What is it about Mark's army that was a bad matchup, what could Tom have done better?"
"The last few weeks Eric's Orks have had a few great games, maybe Eric is onto something with his list."
"Last few weeks looks like Stevens tanks have struggled, what changes in the club meta are hard on armored lists?"
"Tom's Black Legion beat JP's Blood Angels BUT JP's Blood Angels beat Mark's White Scars what was it about JP's army matched up against Mark well?"
"Scott's (XENOS OF THE WEEK) beat Spencers Iron hands this week but lost a few weeks ago, what was different this time?"

I feel like with a running record of the games we play we can accomplish several things.

1: It would be really cool to be able to look back a "This year in review." type post which detailed how the clubs "meta" evolved and how us as gamers adapted to it.
2: By keeping track of our games and trying to learn from not only your individual game but others games as well we can all learn a thing or two and become better players.
3: Who does not want to spice things up with a little bit of friendly competition? Not the WAAC tournament scene but good natured rivalry among friends.
4: We could have "Seasons" and a "Seasonal Champion" IE: Winningest player of that time frame. Consider "strength of schedule" and "quality of wins."

What do you guys think? I think if implemented properly we could have a lot of fun with this for minimal time investment. Now that I am done with school and have some more free time on my hands I can see myself organizing it if anyone is interested?
"My sons, will you hear my oath of moment?"
Ukromarine
Name: Rostik K
Experience Level: Novice
Armies: Ultramarines

Re: I have a cool idea for the club!

Postby Ukromarine » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:48 pm

Maybe start a blog on livejournal.com?
Heroes never die
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Play Style: Casual+Competitive
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:11 pm

I love the enthusiasm. But my only question is how this is any different than what people voluntarily post in the After Action Report sub-forum?
Draaen
Name: Mark
Armies: Tau, White Scars, Tyranids (Nidzilla)

Postby Draaen » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Interesting idea. Personally I think post game analysis via writing a battle report is a great tool to upping your game.

The Tau forums I am a part of tried to track Tau win percentage to track how well Tau have done this year. It sort of fell into disuse as the guy who went to set it up never really compiled the crazy amounts of data. It did condense down a decent amount of data into a quick write up. I personally think keeping data small would be critical to it getting used. Also a regular write up and analysis of the data to encourage participation is necessary. Otherwise there is no point to the exercise IMO. Which seems like something I may enjoy...

One random example from that thread

Outcome: L
Points/PL: 1000
Opponent: Space Marines (Salamanders)
Competitive/Casual: Casual
Tournament: N/A
Format: Eternal War (the 1 objective - nullzone mission)
List Theme: Painted stuff, so not optimized, with crisis suits and a Piranha
Experience: Since begin 8th + WHFB and AoS since 1999
Notes: Mission was already against me as I had to move up with most models every single turn and he had more infantry then me. Salamander re-rolls and hot rolling against my sub par rolling meant I was running an uphill battle.
Though Mirror stratagem sling-shotting my stealth suits up then homing beacon to drop my crisis suits in with 5 gun drones - 1 Ml drone was great to see.. unfortunately with auspex scan he shot all my drone off with the hellblasters

Quick easy to read and probably takes 5 minutes to fill out.

My main concern would be that the system wold be frustrating to newer players and the players who are already a bit discouraged. The learning curve for this game is steep, power creep is real and the game can get frustrating. If someone is getting a 90% win rate then there is probably someone with a 10% who doesn't want to see that.

I've run cooking competitions at work and some of the feedback I get is to never post the full vote totals only who post like the top 3 or something. Somehow I ended up as head of the fun committee at my work!
Game Preferences:
Current Beta rules in effect
I'm happy to play lower points levels with people who are staring out or building up new forces
spruter
Name: Seth Pruter
Experience Level: Intermediate
Armies: Sisters of Battle, Blood Angels

Postby spruter » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 am

I really like the idea, as I feel like after action reports isn't used as much as I would like. I think we could easily put in a small rundown with notes each week.
Memento
Name: Anthony
Experience Level: Experienced
Armies: Thousand Sons, Daemons, Ultramarines

Postby Memento » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 am

spruter wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 am
I really like the idea, as I feel like after action reports isn't used as much as I would like. I think we could easily put in a small rundown with notes each week.
Yeah, far be it for me to tell people what sort of homework they have to do before or after a game :lol:

Just put it in the AAR section so we can keep the forums tidy!
Connman234
Officer
Name: Spencer Connell
Armies: Marines, Ad-Mech, Zerkers, Necrons, Nids

Postby Connman234 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 am

I can see the merit of this idea. In terms of "upping" the skills and trying to learn, there is one thing that I always do after every game (especially with my prep for my first big GT). AFTER BATTLE TALKS WITH MY OPPONENT!!!! They are always a great way to have people walk through what people did right and/or wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with also doing after battle reports for all to read. I myself have been doing those on a more personal note to learn how my army functions, and noting on what I need to look out for against certain things for my GT prep.
"Let Justice be Done. Though the Heavens Fall"

Darth Hoodie
Officer
Name: Tom
Armies: Sons of Horus

Postby Darth Hoodie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:22 pm

Ideally this entire idea could be done in the After Action reports section of the forum. I feel like its greatly under used. Especially by myself, I see myself utilizing it much more in the future. I want to encourage other members to do the same. I feel like it would add a lot to the experience and atmosphere of the club.
"My sons, will you hear my oath of moment?"
RuffledOrk
Name: David P
Armies: Chaos, Orks, Necrons

Postby RuffledOrk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:03 pm

If you wanted to test the system out we could have some volunteers start recording matches every week and compiling the data. I would be up for doing something like that, and like Spencer said I always enjoy having an after game chat about our armies and strategies.
Indy
Name: JP Anderson
Armies: Blood Angels + Iron Warriors

Postby Indy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:06 am

I think the secret to success with something like this is a combo of simplicity, discipline, and quantifiable data.

Keeping things simple makes it easier for everyone both to produce and consume.
Having all participants be disciplined about doing so after every (qualified) match ensures there is enough content...
...and enough content also means that the reports contain quantifiable data that is useful. By that I mean what aspects of the game are most impactful to the players and readers? This takes a bit of skill to discern since saying “Grey Knights beat Iron Hands” could lead to people drawing the conclusion that GK are now OP or such....when in fact, the actual battle would assert just the opposite and show just how heroic the GK player’s efforts were etc...
“Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon.”

-G.K. Chesteron